Meet the man who sold his Evo and bought 849 Echo’s instead!
1) Name – Henry Luong
2) Nugget car of choice – 2001 Toyota Echo Sportivo
3) Other cars – Evo 8MR & 7
4) How did you hear about Nugget nationals? – A brief discussion with Ying at 100mm Docklands during the beginning of 2014 facilitated and persuaded her decision into composing a small event we now know as Nugget nationals.
5) What made you want to join Nugget nationals? – It’s was (and still is) a cheap alternative to race with a nugget compared to racing with my Evo (less than half the cost I would normally spend per event, which means I can race twice as much and get more seat time!). I also wanted to improve my driving stills by driving a vehicle without ABS/AYC/ACD and any other 3 letter acronyms you can think of.
6) Why did you pick the car you have to be your Nugget vehicle of choice? – A sporty, small and ECHO-nomical (ha, see what I did there) car that could be my daily driver (air con was a must) that I could drive to work, do my errands in, park it anywhere I wanted without fearing it would get stolen and transform into a race car a few times a year.
7) What is your favourite thing/feature about your Nugget? – It has to be the Cusco front strut brace from the previous owner. Toyota Echos are known to pull some serious G’s in the corners along with its off the scale torque reading from the 1.5L VVTi engine; the strut brace helps the chassis from flexing and turning it into a raspberry twist.
8) Funniest thing about your Nugget – The mods cost as much as the car itself…
9) A random fact about you – I can cook two minute noodles in one minute and 59 seconds.
Long time track enthusiast Lance, has finally crossed over to the dark side and picked up a little Nugget of his own!
1) Name – Lance Lee
2) Nugget car of choice – 1994 (I think) Honda Civic Gli – SOHC 1.5 litres of carby goodness
3) Other cars – I normally track my 350z. But I do have past experience with other fwd cars such as an ae111 levin, ralliart colt, integra and ek civic.
4) How did you hear about Nugget nationals? – Most likely Ying or Mr Andy So
5) What made you want to join Nugget nationals? – All in the name of fun – plus I’ve always wanted to enter a race series!!!
6) Why did you pick the car you have to be your Nugget vehicle of choice? – I cant say I really picked this car to be my nugget of choice. The nugget actually belongs to my mate Matty, although he denies it is his for unknown reasons. It was rescued from his parents driveway early 2014 and I had gone to the trouble of getting the car roadied last year with the initial aim of it going to one of my cousins as a first car. Although this didn’t end up going to plan, in some ways it kind of did go to plan as now the car will serve a higher purpose!
7) What is your favourite thing/feature about your Nugget?
a) Viper alarm system with disconnected alarm (alarm had mind of its own)…
b) but it has REMOTE START which works when the cars warm (or it will crank forever)
c) engine doesn’t fire up unless you hit the gas pedal first. Which I think gives the car some extra character and reminds me of my old ra23 which used to do the same thing 🙂
8) Funniest thing about your Nugget – Hmmmm. rather than list the broken things…a short story: During the early hours of the night/morning the nugget now has work duties driving my dad to and from work. One time when he had finished work he was walking to the nugget and saw his workmates standing at the back of the car staring at the muffler looking confused. The car was trying to crank its engine for god knows how long. My dad must of knocked the remote start which turns out has a really good distance.
9) A random fact about you – Chocolate makes me sneeze
(Please note.. photo is a slight exaggeration of the condition of this nugget. It now has some sunburn/sun spots on many of its panels).
Our next Nugget will be making the journey down from NSW for our first Winton round!
Where there is a Will, there is a way!
1) Name – Will Mitchell
2) Nugget car of choice – 1989 Honda Civic ED (aka, The Lunchbox)
3) Other cars – Mazda 323 SP20
4) How did you hear about Nugget nationals? – After I joined the Honda Historics group someone shared the picture Nuggets posted of a ED on 2 wheels through some barricades, from there on watched the latest video and fell in love, needed to give it a try!
5) What made you want to join Nugget nationals? – Watching the video put together of Nuggets Nationals last year, and my car which I bought for a track car being able to compete. It seems like a fun & awesome experience!
6) Why did you pick the car you have to be your Nugget vehicle of choice? – Already bought the ED due to it’s lightness, and all the research that has gone into Honda’s, including all the aftermarket components to support them.
7) What is your favourite thing/feature about your Nugget? – The way she handles when I’m throwing her through a corner, AND the constant popping from my muffler delete!
8) Funniest thing about your Nugget – I recently managed to snap the indicator/light arm where it connects to the base of the steering unit thing, so when I have my lights on and put the indicator on, the lights turn off. Always a good way to confuse other drivers at night, and myself..
9) A random fact about you – I’ve bought so much stuff for the Lunchbox lately, I’m only just going to be able to do nuggets (Mi goreng ftw)
2) Nugget car of choice: 2002 Toyota Echo Sportivo named Perry.
3) Other cars: EP82, EP82, EP82, EP91, NA6
4) How did you hear about Nugget nationals? From myself 😛
5) What made you want to join Nugget nationals? Because tracking small cars is the greatest joy known to mankind.
6) Why did you pick the car you have to be your Nugget vehicle of choice? I was originally going to buy an NA Starlet (see: other cars) due to the plethora of spares and unhealthy obsession I have but decided it was time to try something different by buying the car that Toyota built to replace the Starlet.
7) What is your favourite thing/feature about your Nugget? That it’s not a Civic 😛
8) Funniest thing about your Nugget? The “big block” Sportivo motor was taken from the hideous Echo Sedan of the same era. Toyota and the rest of the world then realised that this motor was actually not very sporty and put it in the Yaris and left off the “Sportivo” moniker.
9) A random fact about you: I listen to the Nate Dogg and Warren G song “Regulate” at least once every day. It’s the soundtrack to my life (followed closely by Taylor Swift – “Shake it off,” which should be the soundtrack to everyone’s lives).
2) Nugget car of choice – 1989 Honda Civic 25XT Limited Edition
3) Other cars – Honda CR-X SiR, Honda Integra Type R and a few others
4) How did you hear about Nugget nationals? – Ying Bot told me of her idea to run a series focused on low cost motorsport, something I’ve always been a big fan of, and from that point on there was no escape.
5) What made you want to join Nugget nationals? – As above, and my daily car already fit the rules. Very convenient.
6) Why did you pick the car you have to be your Nugget vehicle of choice? – I already had the car, but if I hadn’t I still would have picked an ED/EF Civic since they’re a (semi)modern classic. Independent suspension, good aftermarket support, stylish looks and two carburettors make it the best choice.
7) What is your favourite thing/feature about your Nugget? – My favourite thing about my nugget is the same thing I liked about my old Micra (RIP Paddington), it’s almost always ready for the track with no fuss, and no constant replacement of consumables like tyres and brake pads.
8) A random fact about you. – ) I spent more time last year working on my Nugget than on the actual dedicated track car that I’ve been working on for a while.
9) Funniest thing about your Nugget – For a long time I had to hot wire my car direct from the battery to the starter motor, due to a dodgy connection where I had modified the old wiring to the automatic shifter (the car used to be automatic). I had to be careful not to spin and stall it on track.